This award is given to promote, recognize, and reward an outstanding student presenter and provided valuable feedback to student presenters on their research and presentation skills. Students presenting both Posters and Oral Presentations are eligible for this award. In addition to being recognized for their outstanding work, award winners received $50 to spend at the EFI shop.
The EFI Futures Outstanding Student Presentation Award was first developed for the EFI 2022 Virtual Conference. The criteria and process were based on the ESA Lotka-Volterra and AGU Outstanding Student Presentation Awards (OSPA) awards.
Find information below about:
- Award Criteria
- Information for Volunteer Reviewers
- EFI 2024 Conference – Call for Reviewers
- EFI 2022 Conference Award Results
Presentation and Visuals
- Are slides (oral presentations), or graphics and layout (poster presentations), clear, readable, and comprehensible, with the appropriate degree of complexity?
- Are tables or figures used effectively?
- Are the main points, conclusions, and interpretations developed and integrated in a logical fashion?
- Is the speaker able to articulate the ideas in a clear manner?
- Does the study show originality and creativity?
- Is related work recognized where appropriate?
- Does the presenter display knowledge and understanding of the study topic?
- Are the design and methods appropriate and adequate for the purpose of the study?
- Are statistical procedures and/or computational methods used correctly?
- Are conclusions based on presented results?
Information for Volunteer Reviewers
We look for 2-3 Reviewers per student presentation and ask that Reviewers sign up for at least two presentations. However, Reviewers are welcome to sign up to review more than two presentations!
We ask that Reviewers not sign up for presentations where they have a conflict of interest with the presenter such as a student from their institution or one that they are acquainted with.
The Award Criteria will be based on a 0-5 score for each of the Presentation and the Scientific Approach items listed above and the overall score. Before future Conferences, the Conference organizing committee will reach out to potential judges with further instructions and to assign talks and poster to review.
EFI 2024 Conference – Call for Reviewers
The EFI 2024 Conference will be held at the Finnish Meteorological Institute on June 11-13, 2024.
Students: Students will have the opportunity sign up to participate for the award when they submit their Abstract. Abstract submissions are open 01 December 2023 to 01 February 2024.
Reviewers: Individuals interested in volunteering to review students’ poster and oral presentations will be able to sign up during registration. Registration is open 01 December 2023 to 30 April 2024.
EFI 2022 Conference Award Results
Congratulations to Whitney Woelmer (Virginia Tech) for her poster “Undergraduate student confidence and understanding of ecological forecasting concepts significantly increases after completing a Macrosystems EDDIE module.”
Yiluan Song (University of California, Santa Cruz) won the award for her presentation on “Ecological forecasting of leafing and flowering phenology during climate change to inform public health”.
Details about Yiluan and Whitney’s presentations can be found here.