Our focus is to build a diverse community of individuals who are 1) trained on the methods, theory and decision science to create iterative near-term forecasts, or 2) trained to use the forecast predictions in management and policy. The Education and Diversity & Inclusion are separate working groups, but work closely together with a focus on building an inclusive community of practice among ecological forecasting educators and developing open, collaborative, and extensible teaching materials at the undergraduate, graduate, and professional levels. We think training in ecological forecasting is important for all ecologists, not just those actively building forecasts. For example, the approaches used to design experiments and collect data can change nontrivially if we want to inform predictions.
Education Working Group Schedule of Calls:
The Education Group will be meeting on February 1, March 1, March 29, April 19, and May 10 at 1pm US Eastern. We are always open to people joining the calls, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
HERE is a list of over one hundred educational resources related to Ecological Forecasting.
- Resources include course material, videos, code repositories, modules, and online textbooks.
- Resources are organized around concepts of forecasting, basics of R, Python, ecology, and statistics, data sources, data skills, model building, the forecast cycle, applying forecasts, and using decision science or interpreting forecasts as end-users.
- Resources are categorized as Introductory, Intermediate, and Advanced
Notes from Working Group Calls
Chair: Jason McLachlan (University of Notre Dame)
- March 1, 2021
- February 1, 2021
- December 14, 2021
- November 16, 2021
- October 12, 2020
- September 14, 2020
- August 19, 2020
- July 22, 2020
- June 24, 2020
- May 27, 2020
- April 20, 2020
- April 13, 2020
- March 16, 2020
- February 17, 2020
- December 4, 2019
- October 16, 2019
- September 17, 2019 – joint DEI and Education Working Group call
- July 12, 2019 – joint DEI and Education Working Group call